Ruthven Barracks was built by General Wade as part of the infrastructure put in place by Government after the 1715 uprising to control the rebellious Scots.
The barracks was burned in 1746 by Prince Charles Edward Stuart’s army on their retreat to Culloden.
There is much to see at the barracks, which is open to the public, just off the road from Kingussie to Insh, about a mile and a half out of Kingussie.
An interesting little snippet from modern day history is that the first recorded television performance of ‘Flower of Scotland’, by the late Roy Williamson of the Corries was made here, back in the sixties. It is ironic that one of the touchstones of the modern day impetus towards a Scottish Parliament should have made its first appearance at a place built to control the Scots spirit!