VisitScotland 3 Star Visitor Attraction
Scores of models of the Scottish Wildcat hidden around the village of Newtonmore for YOU to find
CHILDREN LOVE IT!! Their parents love it because it keeps their children happy outdoors for hours....and adults love to do it because of the challenge!
There are currently 131cats secreted round the village, in gardens, on roofs, up trees......
If you find 25, you earn A Wildcat Experience certificate, for 50 you get a prize.
Anyone finding them all gets a bigger prize, but the fun is in the searching, the reward in finding yet another one..... It's addictive!
Each of the cats is painted differently; some in delicate detail, others with splashy panache; some by artistic adults and many by enthusiastic Primary School children. We have the Cat's Pyjamas, Advo-cat-e, Cat Burglar, Puss in Boots, Scaredy Cat and many more.
For more detail on this unique community arts project & treasure hunt go to The Wildcat Experience website.
Get your Wildcat Experience TrackPack from the Wildcat Centre on Main Street. The showerproof shoulderbag contains a brochure with photos of all the wildcat models, maps and a pen to mark down each one as you find it.
Some of the comments from our Visitor Book:
- 'Simply the best kids' treasure hunt we have ever been on'. April 2011
- 'As a family we have had a fantastic time on our cat hunt this week - Thom (6) and Calum (3), have had a brilliant time looking for all the wonderfully colourful cats all around the village. A brilliant idea and great for families to do together . August 2010
- ''We have had a wonderful time trying to find all the cats. This has been a great way to get to know the area, the people and most of all the wildcat. .. We will suggest this to everyone who comes this way. What a wonderful way to raise awareness and have a good time' Johanna and Alice from Texas. July 2011
- 'A wonderful experience hunting the cats - all different characters - just fantastic. You really get hooked (or clawed)' Sheila Gibson, Glasgow. July 2010
- 'Fantastic! Kept the kids busy & entertained all week'. Sue Hardin, Australia. July 2010
- 'What a brilliant idea. Totally hooked ' February 2011
- "Another hidden gem in Newtonmore. A wee visitor centre in the main street is the start of a great day of walking. Here you collect your wildcat guide and then you set off around the village trying to spot over 100 elusive, colourful decorated wildcats. If you correctly spot 25 coats, you receive a certificate, 50 a prize. You can make the day as long or as short as you like. A fantastic way to see Newtonmore, which conceals lovely tearooms and shops. We will definitely be back to spot more! One of the best days out in the area. Mrs. Face, Perth , July 2012
- ' Fantastic Feline Fun! We had great fun meandering up and down the streets and back lanes of Newtonmore and successfully spotted 25 cats in the short time we had available and claimed our certificate at the Centre. We will be back to find the rest and will tell all our family and friends and encourage them to take part too! ' From Tripadvisor May 13th 2012