Monarch of the Glen, the hit BBC TV series produced by Ecosse Films was filmed here in Badenoch over a period of some 6 years.
Glen Bogle Castle is in fact Ardverikie House, on the shores of Loch Laggan, some sixteen miles south west of Newtonmore.
"Monarch of the Glen" (1851)
painting by Sir Edwin Landseer (1802-1873)
The house and grounds are private, and although access on foot to the wild landscapes of Scotland is permitted, it is not possible, except for one day per year, when the grounds are open under Scotland's garden scheme, to take your car along the private estate road to the house. Ardverikie can, however, be seen very well from the main A86 road from Newtonmore to Spean Bridge on the other side of the Loch - just look out through the trees for the view of the house opening up, then stop (off the road, please) and scramble down through the trees to the loch side for an uninterrupted view - and an excellent photograph with a telephoto lens.
The Cast and crew of the production lived in the area from April to the end of September each year, with many of the stars located here in Newtonmore, and others in neighbouring Kingussie.
Many locations in Newtonmore were used in filming the series - see the Glen Bogle downloads link below for a downloadable map of locations around Newtonmore that have featured - as well as some other goodies for all you "Boglies" out there.
Newtonmore artist David Fallows painted the watercolours which have appeared on set as 'Molly's' (Susan Hampshire), whilst many Newtonmore people made appearances as extras. Many of the cast could often be seen around the Badenoch villages of Laggan, Newtonmore and Kingussie.
Whilst it has been a year or two now since the last series was filmed & broadcast, Monarch of the Glen is enjoying an enduring popularity around the world as well as here at home, where it can sometimes be found on satellite channels.